Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Starship Troopers

I chose to read Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein because the movie is one of my all time favorites. I’ve heard that the movie rendition was a bit different than the book. After reading it, I can say I agree. It was difficult to take my mind away from the images that the movie gave, which are more corny and funny (in my opinion). The book is much more political and serious. There was a new element which I don’t remember being in the movie, which was the power armor. It gives the soldiers more super human type qualities that I’m surprised weren’t added to the movie format. It would have been fun and entertaining to see this in action.


I like this book because it takes you into a futuristic world of what it would be like in boot camp and training, without a bunch of mindless action. The book focuses on the affects of war and racial (human/alien) differences in an extreme political system. I also liked the political system of the 2 offense rule. If you commit a crime twice, you’re killed. I definitely enjoyed the book though I think much of the reason why I love the movie so much is the nostalgia and strange style that the visual effects gave to it. The book was a more engrossing read and definitely worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment